I am an intelligent person. Really. I graduated from the University of Massachusetts with honors and received honors when graduating from Andover Newton Theological School. So, why did my stupidity endanger my child's life? I have no good answer.
I took the smoke detector off the ceiling with the intention of replacing the batteries. But I put it on the counter and forgot it. Last night at 3am my husband work up to use the bathroom and smelled smoke. When he opened the door to our son's room, it was about half full of acrid, burnt plastic smelling smoke. The humidifier was smoking and sending toxic fumes into the air. At Rob's shout I awoke, grabbed our son and brought him out of the smoke as Rob dealt with the evil humidifier.
Long story short- All is well. My child has no lasting effects from the smoke. The humidifier has been beaten with a baseball bat and the smoke detector is reloaded with batteries and placed on the ceiling where it belongs. I haven't slept since 3am because I can't let myself dwell on what could have happened.
I will never EVER mock my husband's small bladder again for as long as I live. It might have saved a life.